Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Words From Gail's Memorial Service--Dad's Words

I am here today along with Mom, Gail's Mom, to express our love and to tell Gail how much she has enriched us in so many ways.

Gail grew up here in Litchfield, attended the local schools, graduated from Monmouth Academy and then went on to the University of Maine graduating in 1972. Then she earned a Master's Degree in Library Science from the University of Kentucky.

The onset of Gail's life was pretty much chaped by her mom. I was working two jobs so Mom had to take over on many occasions.

Gail's talents went in different directions than her two sisters, Anne and Barbie. In the world of music, Gail couldn't carry a tune and this is where she fell right in line with Dad--he couldn't either. My mother-in-law used to tell me in church "Gene, Just stand up and we'll do the singing." So that's what Gail and I used to do--just stand up and listen.

During the girls' youth, with no boys in the family, Dad boiught bats, balls, footballs, gloves, skates, hockey sticks, etc. And Gail stood out in these sports. She could run, throw, and kick better than any of us. She could throw a football with a beautiful spiral at least 30 yards and beyond sometimes.

Gail could handle all of the carpenter tools in her tool box as well as power tools and create works of art with them. She could also weild a paintbrush and produce that finishing touch.

Later she became an expert at fly fishing, using her talents in tying her own flies.

Gail had a great sense of humor and loved to express it herself with her friends. For instance, while home from college she wanted something different for her dorm room. She found this old flush on the farm, painted it pink, and then went back to school with this bright colored flush. It became a focal point for her room. All her friends would line up to sit on her throne.

Another time Gail wanted to make some root beer. With all the ingredients in hand she produced one dozen bottles and after capping them--and a working time--the bottles began to EXPLODE--4 bottles remain from the explosions some 35 years ago. They still are on a shelf in the basement. I wonder what the root beer would taste like now?!

I would like to make a recommendation to God. If you are looking for a third baseman with great hands, a pitcher with great control, a quarterback with a great spiral, and a point guard that can shoot, Gail is your best bet. By the way, she is pretty good at fixing things too.

I will say good-bye till we meet again on the other side. In closing, this prayer is what we would say together at bedtime:
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
God bless us all.
Amen

No comments: