Thursday, August 26, 2010

Treatment Plan in place!!!


I will be going to the Oncology/Hematology Center in the Medical Building on the Fore River Mercy Hospital Campus in Portland for my first treatments.  Dr, Inhorn, chief of oncology, is my medical oncologist.  My chemotherapy starts on Friday the 3rd of September.  I have to be there at 10 for blood work, then I'll see Dr. Inhorn and meet Cathy, the nurse assigned to me.  I'm expecting to be there about 5 hours for the first visit.

The oncology treatment center is a large open airy bright room with huge windows that face the Fore River.  Great views!  There's also plenty of space around the treatment chair, a personal television, two tables...not too close to anyone else so there is a sense of personal space.  Fridays are typically less crowded, too.  I figured that if I might feel crummy the first day or two or three after treatment, maybe having treatment just before the weekend would make it easier to get extra help here at home if we need it.  I'll be on some really good medications to stop nausea before it even has a chance to start.  That really is the only side effect I've been concerned about.

I will have chemo every third Friday until I've had six treatments.  Then I'll take a short break before starting radiation in Bath at the Cancer Care Center.

That's what I know at this point.  Have prescriptions to fill tomorrow, lots of handouts to read, and I have to set up the finances ring binder to keep track of bills/insurance.  The fun part this next week is choosing what to put in my Hospital Go Bag!

2 comments:

POULTNEY250 said...

Glad you have your plan in place ... now you know where you're going and how you're getting there. Do you have a talisman bag? That should go into your Go Bag for sure. Hugs...

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have the plan in place. Can't wait to see you Monday. KK